FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF GOLIAD

 

  THIS HISTORIC CONGREGATION WAS ORGANIZED IN THE 1840s. IN 1859, THE GOLIAD CIRCUIT OF THE METHODIST CHURCH REPORTED 166 MEMBERS, THE LARGEST MEMBERSHIP IN THE RIO GRANDE CONFERENCE. MORE THAN EIGHTY PASTORS HAVE SERVED THE CHURCH, SOME AS CIRCUIT RIDERS THAT ALSO SERVED THE METHODIST CHURCH IN FANNIN.

 THE EARLY CONGREGATION HAD NO BUILDING BUT WORSHIPPED WITH PRESBYTERIANS IN THE JACKSON HOME. THE FIRST CHURCH BUILDING WAS BUILT AROUND 1852 ON THE CORNER OF JEFFERSON AND PEARL. IN LINE WITH THEIR INTEREST IN EDUCATION, THE CHURCH SOLD THEIR BUILDING TO THE PAINE FEMALE INSTITUTE IN EXCHANGE FOR USE OF THE 2ND FLOOR AUDITORIUM. AFTER THE INSTITUTE WAS SOLD, THE CONGREGATION ACQUIRED PROPERTY AND BUILT A CARPENTER GOTHIC STYLE FRAME CHURCH AT PEARL AND MECHANIC (CHILTON) STREETS. ON MAY 18, 1902, THE CHURCH WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED WHEN AN F4 TORNADO STRUCK.

 SOON, THE CHURCH WAS REBUILT USING WOOD FROM THE FORMER BUILDING. DANISH-BORN ARCHITECT, JULES LEFFLAND, DESIGNED THE CHURCH, ALONG WITH HOMES AND SEVERAL DOWNTOWN BUILDINGS. A WOOD STEEPLE, GOTHIC-DETAILED WINDOW AND DOOR FACINGS, AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS DECORATE THE BUILDING. SEVERAL ADDITIONS WERE MADE OVER THE YEARS, INCLUDING AN EDUCATIONAL BUILDING, PARSONAGE AND FELLOWSHIP HALL. THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF GOLIAD CONTINUES TO ENRICH THE SPIRITUAL LIFE OF THE AREA, AS WELL AS HAVE A GREAT EFFECT ON THE MORAL, CULTURAL AND EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE COMMUNITY.

(2013)

 

After the tornado on May 18. 1902

Rebuilt in 1903